First, let me say that not all pasta dishes are created equal. In fact, the list of ingredients you can add to great pasta is endless. But when it comes to this particular dish, it’s as good as it gets. Among the healthy pasta recipes, this is also among the best; which is why this marriage of seafood and pasta works in a lot of ways.
First, the shrimps provide the crunch. Then the cheese provides the tanginess that cuts through the spices. And the al dente pasta just completes the taste. Together, they make a wonderful meal. If you haven’t made it, try using this recipe. While others don’t use cream for this dish, I beg to differ. I say life just gets better when there’s whip cream on any dish including pastas.
Plus, you’ll love the fact that Cajun recipes have always been really tasty despite being so simple to make with basic ingredients. Did you know that Cajun recipes have always been abundant with seafood? Also, jambalaya, gumbos and fricassees are some of the well-known dishes people love. For those who didn’t grow up in the South, we’re not familiar with Cajun tastes too well. I’m going to change all that.
Let’s start with the simple dishes like this one in order to get used to the taste. But I reckon after you’ve had a taste, it won’t be long until you crave for another Cajun recipe.
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound scallops
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound dry fettuccine pasta
- Begin by cooking the pasta in a large pot of salted water. Remove when pasta turns al dente.
- Take a large skillet and pour the cream into it. Warm this up over medium heat. Make sure you stir constantly while it boils.
- Next, turn down the heat. Then add the herbs, salt, peppers, onion and parsley. Let this simmer for about 7 to 8 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Add the seafood and stir. Cook this until shrimps are no longer transparent. Then add the cheeses and blend this well.
- Lastly, plate your pasta and pour over the sauce. Sauce must be served over noodles and not on the side. Best served warm.